New “Golden Rule” Guidelines

As the mom of two young children, I’ve had those discussions about the golden rule. “Treat other people the way you would like to be treated.”

Unfortunately, reminders about those rules don’t end when we graduate from school. Even adults must remind ourselves frequently to treat others with respect. It’s not always easy. We live in a world where the volume has been turned up. And it’s not just politicians, pundits and radio talk show hosts doing the yelling. It seems, at times, we’ve lost our tolerance for those with differing opinions. I loved a comment I heard on a television show awhile back. It was a suggestion for a sign one might want to carry at a political rally for an opposing candidate, “I disagree with you. But I’m pretty sure, you’re not Hitler.”

Why do I talk about this in this blog – a blog promoting areavoices blogging? Simple. Our areavoices community is growing fast! That’s great news! We love that areavoices has become a place where you can blog about whatever you want. But we also want this to be a place of respect. For that reason we’ve recently posted our Community Guidelines.  Pretty basic, golden rule type stuff. You can find them via the tab at the top of the Topics.AreaVoices blog, or the link at the bottom of the main AreaVoices page. Or you can click right here:  http://areavoices.com/community-guidelines/  

I think my co-worker Lindsey, who was instrumental in writing these guidelines,  said it best, “These guidelines alone don’t really do anything to actively promote respect, kindness, and the feeling of community that we want in the end. But that can come from you. We need your help in making this community the best it can be. Treat others how you want to be treated. Don’t post anything you wouldn’t say in front of your grandmother and 5-year-old niece. Let your behavior be an example for others.”

If you have any questions about the guidelines please let us know by emailing support@areavoices.com.

Comments are closed.