Yes, but is Randolph Mantooth there?

I love blog posts where I get to show my age and my love of cheesy ’70′s television shows while simultaneously promoting Areavoices.

If you’re under the age of 40, you might not know who these guys are. For those of us who grew up in the era of The Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch and Love American Style, we know it’s Kevin Tighe (on the left) and Randolph Mantooth (on the right), the stars of “Emergency,” the NBC drama which profiled the lives of Los Angeles paramedics Johnny Gage, played by Mantooth and Roy DeSoto played by Tighe.

According to NBC’s classic TV website , the show, which premiered in 1972, was produced by Jack Webb of “Dragnet” fame. Following his stint as Joe Friday, Webb wanted to produce shows which celebrated civil servants as everyday heroes. In addition to producing “Emergency” he gave us “Adam-12,” which will forever be seered in my brain for two reasons. First, I remember my dad walking around the house doing his best dispatcher impression: ”One-Adam-12-One-Adam-12.” Second, I remember even as an 8 year old girl, thinking that Kent McCord (below) was indeed dreamy.

Anyway, I digress. The reason I bring this up, is that while they strived to bring a realistic sense of the everyday lives of the paramedic, “Emergency” didn’t quite do it. Hampered by bad hair and cheesy dialogue, it was entertaining, but not exactly reality.

So today, I offer you a little paramedic reality in the form of Areavoices blogging. One of our most popular Areavoices bloggers, Anne Polta, is using her blog “Healthbeat”  to really let us know what the life of a paramedic is all about. She writes:

“What is it like to spend a day in their shoes? To mark National Emergency Medical Services Week, we’re taking readers behind the scenes today with live guest-blogging by the Willmar Ambulance Service at Rice Memorial Hospital. Follow us from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and see how the day unfolds as entries are live-blogged continuously throughout the day. Readers are invited to ask questions or provide feedback ; the paramedics will try to answer as many of your questions as possible. Be sure to check out the links to learn more – and visit us often during the day for live updates.”

Check out Healthbeat at http://healthbeat.areavoices.com It’s paramedic reality without the 70′s soundtrack.

3 thoughts on “Yes, but is Randolph Mantooth there?

• I’m going to try and figure out a way to work all my 70′s heart throbs into my posts. Hmmm….What does Shaun Cassidy have to do with blogging? I’ll have to think about that one. Thanks!

1. Excellent post! I am in my 40s, and remember watching every minute of “Johnny” that I could when I was 12!! When I met my husband, a professional firefighter, I told him I was a huge fan of “Emergency” as a little girl and he said, “Oh, man. They don’t EVEN get it! It isn’t realistic at all!” So, his sentiments most certainly echo your post, too! Thanks for letting me have a “childhood moment,” though!