Bloggers react to Minot Flood Crisis

As the news continues to worsen out of flood-ravaged Minot, North Dakota thousands of people around the world are logging in and tuning in for updates.

Hollywood star and Minot native Josh Duhamel called Minot TV station KXMC today from Moscow where he says he’s been glued to live stream coverage. He says he’s staying in touch with his sister and mother back in Minot for the latest updates.

But even people who don’t know a soul in the city of 36,000 in┬áthe┬áNorth Central part of the state are watching. As I write this from Fargo, North Dakota(4 hours away) I’m sickened by what I see. We’ve fought floods three years in a row along the Red River, but we didn’t have to endure what the people of Minot are facing now. Today’s news that 3 additional feet of water is expected to surge into town means the number of people evacuating the city has risen from 11,000 to thousands more. My heart goes out to the people of Minot today. Something in me (and presumably) in so many others feels the need to stay connected.

In addition to logging onto your favorite newspaper or TV station websites, Areavoices bloggers have joined in a community blog set up by Shane Mercer of The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. In a very short time, after only 4 posts, the number of page views was close to 10,000. People are craving the latest from Minot. And who better to give it to us than the people in Minot themselves? So far two community members are contributing to the blog, but more are needed. If you want to share news from the flooded regions of Central and Western North Dakota, go to http://centralwestflood.areavoices.com. You can also read the latest from Minot and other affected areas.

Comments are closed.