Does blogging make you happier?

Carolyn Baana’s blog is one of my favorites. It’s succinct and full of usable information to better your life. Understandable, I guess considering what Carolyn does for a living. She’s spent the last few years as a career coach helping people achieve their career and life goals. Luckily for us, she shares her expertise on Areavoices at http://carolynbaana.areavoices.com.

I like her attitude about blogging so much, I asked her to write a guest blog about what she’s enjoyed about writing her blog and why she makes it a priority.

Thanks Carolyn!

A few years ago I spent several weeks working my way through The Artist’s Way with a group of talented and ambitious women.  For those who haven’t heard of the book, it’s about finding and expressing creativity.  As I went through the process, I felt as if I was never going to find a true creative outlet, being that my artistic side pretty much consists of me purchasing art, never creating it!

Enter blogging.  As I wrote my first posts and sent them to friends, one of my Artist Way cohorts replied back, “Carolyn, these are your Morning Pages!” …referring to a daily process of journaling three pages in long-hand each morning (augh!).  Blogging is so much easier!

After consulting with a few bloggers, I decided to write every weekday but to keep my posts under 500 words (most are about 250-300).  I also had an epiphany on my format while on the treadmill one day – such an odd occurrence that it must have made my brain’s creative juices splash around.  I then, as my first post indicated, made my mark and began blogging.

Here are some surprises:

1. I’ve really enjoyed it!  Since I began blogging I’ve learned that a side-benefit of blogging is that it makes the blogger happier.  Similar to journaling, only better.
  2. Blogging makes me think about things a little differently.  I’m always seeking “lessons” that I can incorporate into my posts from daily life.
  3. I seek to learn so I can share.  I’ve sought out books, articles and blogs that I wouldn’t have otherwise found – in search of information to support my posts.
  4. It’s delightful to run into friends and acquaintances that share how they enjoyed a particular post or topic.

It can be work, but a post always comes forward when I sit down in front of the keyboard.  Thinking about starting up a blog?  I encourage you to make the mark and begin.