Areavoices Digest #46 – Should I watch the game or read a book?

I was torn this past Sunday. The Minnesota Vikings were playing late that afternoon but I was also smack dab in the middle of a great book. I’ve never claimed to be a huge Vikings fan. In fact, I grew up cheering for the Washington Redskins because my family is originally from that area. But over the last couple of years, I’ve started to become a Vikings fan too. I think its a combination of a couple of things. First, I now have three members of my family liking the team. I didn’t pay much attention when it was just my husband cheering for the Vikes, but now that both daughters are joining in it’s hard to stem that tide. I guess I figured if you can’t beat ’em join ’em. Second, I kind of liked watching the Vikings when Brett Favre joined the team. I enjoyed watching a player about my age still out there playing the game. Inspired my old creaky bones. But I’m not going to lie. I think Brett Favre is also kind of cute in that Wrangler rugged stubbly kind of way. But I digress.

I was saying that I was torn this weekend. I did want to watch the game, but I was just about finished reading “The Help,” the bestselling book about the relationship between black maids in the South and their employers in the 1960’s. Great book! Should I read it or watch the game?

For those of you torn between a good book and a good game, this digest is for you. My recommended blogs of the week are geared around football and literature. Enjoy! And for those of you, like me, torn between a good book and a good game, remember that’s what timeouts are for.

Literary Engineer
Suzi Retzlaff writes this blog “because reading and writing are my two obsessions.”

The Book Nook
A collaborative Areavoices blog where writers review local literature.

Purple Haze
Random thoughts on the Minnesota Vikings by fan Eric Coughlin.

Minnesota Vikings Talk with Brian Shawn
Fan Brian Shawn recaps Minnesota Vikings football throughout the season

Gregor’s Packer Analysis
Greg Gillis previews and reviews Green Bay Packer action

The Catch with Jeff Plattner
Professional and collegiate sports with a Minnesota feel.