Four Tips for Bloggers to Avoid Getting Marked as Spam

And I’m not talking about the lunch meat. As I mentioned in the last blog post, occasionally legitimate blogs get marked as spam. It’s a bummer. But it does happen. So you log on to write a blog post, something you’ve done countless times before. But WHAMMO! The screen comes on saying that you’ve been marked as spam.

What do you do?

Where do you go?

First, relax. It’s not that big a deal. We know most of the time it’s nothing you’ve done. To quote that old breakup line, “It’s not you, it’s me.” But in this case, it’s “It’s not you, it’s them!” Them being spammers who are working hard to get people to see their blogs and in the process the spam filter is getting you.

Grrr….spammers!

There are some fixes being examined. I won’t go into the sordid (and techy details). But in the meantime, you have some power to get the spam filter from trapping you. Here are:

Four tips for bloggers to avoid getting labelled as spam:

1. Be careful about words you use within posts. Anything about Cyber Monday, Black Friday, and Live Streaming tend to get marked. You can’t leave all of those suspicious keywords out of blog posts all the time, but avoid them if possible.

2. Make sure they request that stats be added to their blog. Email your request to add stats to support@areavoices.com. We have noticed that once blogs have stats added they haven’t gotten marked as spam. Not a definite solution, but it appears to be one tool.

3. Put time and effort into the look of your blog. If you notice a spam blog it’s pretty bare bones. Make a nice header, add and manage widgets – anything to set you apart from a spam blog. If it looks like a spam blog the spam filter thinks it is one. If it quacks like a duck…..

4. Along the sames lines, make sure to fill out your “About” pages. These are nice explanations of who you are and what you’re writing about.  Again, if a blog looks legit it’s less likely to get marked as spam. Not foolproof, but helpful.

If you have questions, let me know.

Comments are closed.