The other day I ran into a former co-worker of mine, Scott Sailer from WDAY-TV. He was decked out in a red hoodie with “The Racing Life” emblazoned on the front. (Check it out in this is a photo of him taken with Barry Weiss from Storage Wars, when he appeared on WDAY’s “The Christopher Gabriel Program”)
I knew Scott was writing an Areavoices blog about racing in the region, but I had no idea that he had become a media mogul. Well, not quite, but almost.
The Racing Life is everywhere these days from online to broadcast.
He’s doing an awesome job telling us about racing through pictures and video on his blog, Facebook page and website and on television in his half-hour racing show which runs on all North Dakota ABC affiliates at 5:00pm on Saturdays.
He’s selling DVD’s and T-shirts and is attracting quite a following. (I think he even gave Barry some swag). That’s why I felt the need to once again recommend his blog to those of you who haven’t seen it. If you like racing, you need to know The Racing Life. It’s just the first of this week’s five recommended blogs. Enjoy!
The Racing Life
Covering behinds the scenes of racing in the upper Midwest.
Concert promoter Jade Nielsen blogs from the road as he tours with hip-hop sensation T-Pain.
Sports. Music. Pop Culture. Humor.
One of Areavoices most popular blogs showcasing some of the best singing talent in the region.
Where we let the puck and the beat drop.
Here is this week’s list of recommended blogs.
@Concordia – http://atconcordia.areavoices.com – We’re excited to get Concordia College up and running on areavoices. The communications just started blogging last week, but already the blog has delivered interesting content about the happenings at this liberal arts college in Moorhead, MN. It’s also a visually appealing blog. They’ve done a nice job with graphics, photo and video.
Travel Leaders/Travel Now, Inc. – http://travelnow.areavoices.com – I’m so glad to see more travel blogs starting on areavoices and this is a good one! It’s full of travel advice and tips for more efficient and economical traveling.
The Life of a MN Resort Owner – http://lifeinnorthernminnesota.areavoices.com - I thought this was a nice slice of life blog. It gives us a peek behind the scenes into what it takes to run a resort in lakes country. This blogger runs the White Birch Resort near Park Rapids and I’ve enjoyed reading about the goings on there.
Slightly Chilled – where we let the puck and the beat drop – http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com This is a blog written by reporter Ryan Clark about the Fargo Force and USHL. I’m not a huge hockey fan, but I found the blog interested and slickly produced.
WindSports by Kotikites – http://kotikites.areavoices.com – Okay, this one is a little off the beaten path, but I figured why not? It’s fun. This is a blog about wind sports. We have enough of that around here, right? The bloggers run a business that sells power kites that are targeted for sports like kitesurfing, kiteboarding and kiteskiing. Gets our minds off snowblowing and floods, right?
Here’s our weekly look at what’s new on areavoices and what might be worth a second look.
1. Dragon News – http://dragonnews.areavoices.com Minnesota State University Moorhead has started it’s official news blog. Doug Hamilton is the writer of the blog and he was really excited about getting this blog started as MSUM celebrates homecoming this weekend. He will share campus events, announcements, news from the president, etc. It should be very similar to NDSU News.
2. Fargo Cass Public Health – http://fcph.areavoices.com Fargo Cass Public Health was excited to start it’s blog as we head into flu season. They want to use it to announce possible vaccination clinics, anti tobacco education, etc. But they also want to have doctors post generic health information as well. Areas such as dealing with cold symptoms or protecting yourself from skin cancer, etc.
3. Red River Freethinkers = http://redriverfreethinkers.areavoices.com I’ve been watching this blog for quite some time. It’s written by former Fargo Mayor Jon Lindgren who definitely does not shy away from controversy. He likes spirited debate. This is the group that opposed the Ten Commandments going up on city property. He posts nearly every day. They’re quick, well thought out arguments regarding the separation of church and state. I find it thought provoking.
4. Don’t we all love Food blogs? I know I do and All About Food by Sue Doeden. http://sdoeden.areavoices.com and this is a good one. Great pictures, great recipes, great writing.
5. And finally I want to recommend two hockey-related blogs:
Rink and Run – http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com- Minnesota Duluth hockey and endurance sports from Kevin Pates of the Duluth News Tribune. This one qualifies as “an oldie, but a goodie.” It’s been around since 2007. It’s well written and full of great information
The Cullen Connection – http://mattcullen.areavoices.com – Your chance to interact with Moorhead’s Matt Cullen as he goes through his first year with the Minnesota Wild. It’s written by Forum sports and is updated almost daily. It’s a lot of fun for Minnesota hockey fans. This blog has been up and running for a couple of weeks now.
As always I’m looking for the best blogs! Let me know if you have a favorite!