Happy Birthday Paul and Babe!
Bemidji, Minnesota is celebrating the 75th birthday of their own Paul Bunyan and Babe, the Big Blue Ox statues. To commemorate the big guy’s big day, the Bemidji Pioneer has started a blog to share news, historical legend and personal stories about Paul and Babe. Readers are asked to contribute their own memories.
It should be a fun year!
It’s just one of our featured blogs in this week’s digest.
NDSU Extension Service
Useful tips and advice on living from the agriculture extension service in Fargo, North Dakota.
The student-run newspaper of Minnesota State University Moorhead.
Latest Tour Dates and Concerts
Find out the latest tour dates for all of your favorite events.
Paul and Babe
Celebrating 75 years in Bemidji, Minnesota.
Minnesota…More to Explore
News and events from the Minnesota Department of Tourism.
We start this week’s digest with a big welcome to the athletics department at Minnesota State University Moorhead. They’ve been blogging for awhile, but can now be found on Areavoices.
We look forward to hearing all of their news in the coming months!
MSUM Dragon Athletics
The latest news and events from the athletic’s department of Minnesota State University Moorhead
To Fargo with Love
Writer, newlywed, social media enthusiast and self-proclaimed Fargo girl Katie Hutton shares her thoughts on her new blog.
Kindness is Contagious
Columnist Nicole Phillips tells stories of “random acts of kindness” throughout our community and beyond.
Health with a Healing Touch
Dr. Tiffany Johnson will be bringing you the latest natural wellness information and commentary on health headlines making news.
Tap into your power, realize your potential, and achieve your dreams.
As a UND graduate, you know that’s not always easy for me to say.
But I must give credit where credit is due. Here’s to NDSU!
We’ve had a great week at areavoices. Just yesterday, Minnesota State University Moorhead started its Dragon News blog. In addition, I’m expecting at least a couple of K12 schools to be up and running with their blogs very soon. Details to follow!
I’ve met with school representatives over the last few weeks and one of the ways I sold them on the great possibilities of blogging was by using North Dakota State University as my example. NDSU News has been on areavoices for a couple of years. The media relations department there uses the blog very effectively to deliver the latest news and announcements from campus. Not only that, but at least one NDSU department is blogging as well. The chemistry and biology department shares with us the latest research in the field and communicates with students through it’s blog. The NDSU bowling team is even blogging.
Check out NDSU news at http://ndsunews.areavoices.com
Perhaps, NDSU realized ahead of the pack that school news is hot!
Two of our most popular blogs include the Bison media blog and the UND Sioux hockey blog, both written by sports journalists. People crave college and high school sports news! Can you give it to them?
If you work for a school or have a school you’d like to see blogging, let me know. I’d love to visit with school officials to tell them more about it. Chances are I’ll be pulling up NDSU NEWS for help! Thanks again Bison! You rock!
It was just a couple of weeks ago that I met with Minnesota State University Moorhead to talk about the possibilities of them starting a blog on areavoices. They weren’t kidding around. They hit the ground running!
In just the few short days they’ve been featured, Dragon News, has given us a wide variety of news living up to what they promised with their first post:
“Dragon News will report what’s happening on the campus of Minnesota State University Moorhead. A university campus is filled with energy, creativity and interesting people. On top of that, higher education, like almost every other human enterprise, is undergoing tremendous change. This blog will offer news, features, interviews, photos and videos relevant to MSU Moorhead, its various higher education partners and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.”
Over the last couple of days Dragon News has told us about this week’s homecoming activities, told us about a “rock star” researcher, and even delivered some tough economic news today. Their news is fresh and up to date the way they want it on areavoices.
Welcome Dragon News! We look forward to keeping up to date with life at MSUM!
Here’s our weekly look at what’s new on areavoices and what might be worth a second look.
1. Dragon News – http://dragonnews.areavoices.com Minnesota State University Moorhead has started it’s official news blog. Doug Hamilton is the writer of the blog and he was really excited about getting this blog started as MSUM celebrates homecoming this weekend. He will share campus events, announcements, news from the president, etc. It should be very similar to NDSU News.
2. Fargo Cass Public Health – http://fcph.areavoices.com Fargo Cass Public Health was excited to start it’s blog as we head into flu season. They want to use it to announce possible vaccination clinics, anti tobacco education, etc. But they also want to have doctors post generic health information as well. Areas such as dealing with cold symptoms or protecting yourself from skin cancer, etc.
3. Red River Freethinkers = http://redriverfreethinkers.areavoices.com I’ve been watching this blog for quite some time. It’s written by former Fargo Mayor Jon Lindgren who definitely does not shy away from controversy. He likes spirited debate. This is the group that opposed the Ten Commandments going up on city property. He posts nearly every day. They’re quick, well thought out arguments regarding the separation of church and state. I find it thought provoking.
4. Don’t we all love Food blogs? I know I do and All About Food by Sue Doeden. http://sdoeden.areavoices.com and this is a good one. Great pictures, great recipes, great writing.
5. And finally I want to recommend two hockey-related blogs:
Rink and Run – http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com- Minnesota Duluth hockey and endurance sports from Kevin Pates of the Duluth News Tribune. This one qualifies as “an oldie, but a goodie.” It’s been around since 2007. It’s well written and full of great information
The Cullen Connection – http://mattcullen.areavoices.com – Your chance to interact with Moorhead’s Matt Cullen as he goes through his first year with the Minnesota Wild. It’s written by Forum sports and is updated almost daily. It’s a lot of fun for Minnesota hockey fans. This blog has been up and running for a couple of weeks now.
As always I’m looking for the best blogs! Let me know if you have a favorite!